Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Lammily Photographer

My Lammily Photographer doll arrived last week and I released her from her box the other day.

I've added photos of her box below. The box has lovely artwork.

Here's a look at the box and the pamphlet that came with the doll.

I was impressed by my first glimpse of Lammily. She looks better than the prototype photos. Here are a couple of shots of her still in the box with the pamphlet containing the story of how she got started with photography.

And here is a full shot of her inside the box.

Even the inside of the box contained lovely artwork. Here she is with her camera, ready to take some photos. My Lammily has a slight black stain on the back of her right hand from the camera strap.

Here she is out of the box! Lammily can stand unassisted (for a short amount of time), but I found it a challenge to balance her in her original shoes. Her outfit is not that impressive, but not too bad. I like the clips in her hair. She has densely rooted curly hair. Her articulation is limited.

She has articulation at her wrists and ankles. Her elbows and knees bend slightly (one click at the knees, two clicks at the elbows).

I am thrilled to have diversity in my doll collection in terms of size and shape. Here are some of my other dolls that are a little larger than the average female doll. From left to right they are: Dominique, Dasia, Lammily, Curvy Barbie (released from her package the same day as Lammily), and Bessie.

Warning: naked plastic ahead. Here's a look at Lammily's body. She has a rather long torso and rather short legs. She wears molded on flesh colored panties. Her ankle articulation allows her to stand in heels of various heights, in flats, and barefooted.

Lammily can fit into Dominique's clothes, although the jeans are rather short on Lammily. Dominique looks good in Lammily's clothes, but Lammily's shoes will not fit on Dominique. Lammily can wear Dominique's shoes and stand in them.

The size of Lammily's upper arms and thighs is comparable to some of my action figure ladies, but Lammily is much thicker in the middle. Below, she is barely squeezing into exercise attire from a BBI Perfect Body action figure.

Lammily can squeeze into some of the larger and stretchier Sparkle Girlz attire. She is wearing a Sparkle Girlz top below. One of the details that I like about Lammily is that her palms and the soles of her feet are a lighter color. I only have one other doll with this realistic detail, and that's Eddie Strong (pictured with Lammily below). Only the palms of Eddie's hands are lighter, not the soles of his feet.

Lammily can squeeze into the jacket and skirt of this Beverly Hills Kenya fashion. She can wear shoes made for action figures. Below, she is wearing Triad Alpha shoes. She can stand unassisted in them, but not while wearing this tight skirt.

Some of my larger action figure guys have been forced to wear these mom jeans in the past, and they are glad to hand these over to Lammily (though they will find themselves sharing these with her sometimes). She also wears JLS Marvin's shirt. I like it better on her than I do on him.

Tracy Turnblad's dress is large on Lammily, but I think she looks pretty good in it.

Dasia's dress is way too big on Lammily.

I was happy find that Lammily can fit the pants that she wears below, because none of my other ladies can wear them, and my guys balk at the very idea of me putting these on them (except Dennis Rodman - he did not object). I think the shirt is a Ken tee. She is wearing female action figure shoes from OJI Toys.

Lammily does not sit very elegantly. Her knees barely bend, and she sits with her legs open.

 Lammily poses below with my Booty Babe statue.

 And here's one last group shot. In addition to the dolls mentioned above, there's Mammy on the left of Lammily and Tracy Turnblad on the right. Lammily could not fit the pants of the purple tracksuit or Curvy Barbie's denim dress below (but she could wear the white lace top).

Overall, I like the Lammily Photographer doll very much. I love her hair. It would be nice if her ankle joints were tighter so that she could stand better, and I'd love to see some improvement in her articulation overall. She has plenty of options for clothes and shoes. I love having another doll to represent a larger size and a different shape.

26 comments:

  1. Thank you for your thorough review of Photographer Lammily. It is great that you have more wardrobe choices than I have here. I like your doll best in the exercise attire from a BBI Perfect Body action figure. I think the midriff top shortens her long waist and the below-the-knee leggings lengthen her legs. She looks good in Tracy Turnblad's dress and would look much better if the fit were better. These two fashions give me ideas.

    It's good to know she can stand, almost, alone for a while. I couldn't get my doll to stand with shoes on, but didn't try it without or with flatter shoes since I didn't have any that fit her. I agree that she needs more articulation and with tighter ankle joints, she could stand better without assistance.

    Do you plan to name her?

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I can't decide which look is my favorite for her. Perhaps I haven't found just the right outfit for her yet. I'm glad that she has choices.

      My doll's right ankle is not as tight as her left ankle, and that causes an issue with her balance. She can stand for a few minutes in the OJI shoes, but then she starts to slowly lean like Michael Jackson in the Smooth Criminal video, and falls over. I've heard of others using superglue on doll joints and then working the joint until it dries to tighten loose joints. I haven't tried it. I don't know if that would work for Lammily though, since the entire joint is not exposed.

      If I were to name her something different, I'd likely forget. I'm going to stick with Lammily for now. Did you name yours?

      Delete
    2. That's too bad about the loose ankle joint. I think I'd have to let the Lammily folks know if it is an issue for you. Even if it's not an issue, I think I'd still let them know. Maybe they'll send you a free outfit or something.

      Yes, I named my doll, Jeanne. She is named after Arthur Ashe's widow, Jeanne Moutoussamy-Ashe, who is or was a photographer. I'll remember her first name, but I won't remember the hyphenated surname, so I will just call her Jeanne.

      dbg

      Delete
    3. I wanted to also thank you for your images which let me know that I put Jeanne's blouse on backward when I redressed her. I still like it with the Velcro closure in back.

      dbg

      Delete
    4. I suppose I'll let the company know about the loose ankle joint. I just figured that it was a common issue with the doll, but it couldn't hurt to give them feedback. I remember now reading that you named your doll after Arthur Ashe's widow, but I had since forgotten until I read your post above. I'll think about naming my doll (unless I forget to). :)

      I find it so funny that you put your doll's blouse on backwards, because I was about to do the same thing, until I decided to just leave her in the last outfit that I tried on her (I was tired). I just went and looked at your photos again, and the shirt looks good backwards.

      Delete
    5. Lammily's hands and feet are designed to pop off for easy dressing. Maybe the company could send you another foot to help with the loose ankle joint. Although I wonder as you repeatedly take them on and off, if they will all be looser in the end. I've been removing the feet on my first Lammyily doll, and I haven't seen any issues, yet.

      Delete
    6. Thanks Vanessa, I didn't know that I could remove her hands and feet! I just removed her foot and put it back on. She's standing on my desk as I type this, and I'm trying to see how long it takes before she goes into her lean.

      Delete
  2. Love seeing the comparisons to other non-standard doll bodies - how they all compare is one of the things I'd been wondering about, and while I've seen Lammily/Curvy Barbie comparisons, you have so many other doll bodies as well. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jSarie! It was fun comparing her to the others. I love having 1/6 dolls of different sizes and shapes.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your new Lammily doll. Mine came about a week ago, too. She is sitting next to my sewing machine, giving me side eye as I continue to sew for Dasia. I enjoyed the fashion show. I chuckled every time you used the word 'squeezed'. Nice to know she can wear some action figure shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa! LOL@ your Lammily giving you the side eye. I look forward to seeing the fashions that you'll create for her. I think that Lammily may need some ankle boots, to steady her ankles so that she can stand for longer periods of time. Hmmm, I think I may have some short Ken boots around here somewhere - I'll have to try that.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on getting your Photographer Lammily! I also got mine last week?! Maybe??? I ordered 2 of them. One of them has much denser hair than the other. The knees will go 2 clicks although they are a bit tight at first. Lammily had said that they were going to work on the articulation bases on feedback from the first Lammily, they have not made any changes there. Lammily can wear Ty Girls clothes if you have any of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phyllis! My Lammily's knees will click twice, but they will not hold in the second click position. Perhaps the company will improve upon the articulation in the future. I'm willing to get another one for better articulation.

      Delete
  5. WOW, nice to see her! Yeah, I don't like that red shirt on Marvin either. Maybe it too "metro" of a shirt! She has a open and friendly face. Her hand lead me to believe that she is heavy-handed. So you don't want her coming the tangles out of your hair! I love your photos. You are making me think about getting her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Leo! I thought that red shirt was a strange look for Marvin, and his boots too! Come to think about it, maybe I'll try Marvin's short boots on Lammily, to see how long she can stand in those (if she can fit them). LOL@ the heavy-handed comments!

      Delete
  6. Great review and thanks for so many comparisons. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I like her figure. She's shaped like many athletes I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Muff! I like it that Lammily is shaped differently, and I do know people who are shaped like that.

      Delete
  7. Nice review!! I especially love her hair! Now I need to decide if I will get her or not. Thanks for all of the comparisons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Georgia Girl! Her hair is one of my favorite things about her. I like it that she's unique.

      Delete
  8. I think I prefer photographer Lammily's face and hair to the original doll's. The articulations seems a bit disappointing, though, particularly since that was one of the big selling points during the Kickstarter. I have dolls with floppy ankles and it really makes posing unnecessarily difficult. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anderson's All-Purpose! I've only seen photos of the original Lammily, and I prefer the photographer's face to the original too. I'd love to see better articulation, but I'm thankful that she has what she has. Looking at her with the other larger dolls, she has some of the better articulation of the bunch.

      Delete
  9. I liked the concept of the first Lammily but didn't really like her face. I too, like this one better but still would prefer more articulation. Maybe I should wait for the third one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that, Carrickters. If they come out with one with better articulation and the ability to stand better, I would buy another one.

      Delete
  10. She does look good and I can't wait for my to arrive. The comparison shots were really good to. She going to love it her in Dotsville. Her family is anxiously awaiting for her arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brini! I can't wait to see yours with her new family in Dotsville!

      Delete
  11. It might sound strange, but not all wedding photographers are the same and not all photographers are a good fit for every client. If your wedding photographer meets you and finds out about what you are looking for and then tells you that they don't think they would be a good fit for you, it might be surprising, but it's nothing personal. wedding photographer

    ReplyDelete