Sunday, April 1, 2012

American Teen Dolls

I read about these dolls on D7ana's blog and I knew that I had to have them.  I purchased Benjamin and Dominique.  

They are beautifully displayed in their boxes, but I could not resist opening their boxes.  These are 10" dolls with minimal articulation.  Their arms and legs move up and down and swivel, and their knees bend very slightly (they will hold one click).  They can easily stand on their own.

Here's a view from the back.  Dominique wears hoop earrings and a ring on her finger, and her nails are painted.  Both dolls have rooted hair, and Benjamin has real cornrows.

Here is Dominique with some other female teen dolls.  She is slightly shorter than the High School Musical dolls.  She is thicker than most other teen dolls, but not as thick as Tracy Turnblad.

Here is Benjamin with some other male teen dolls.  He is about the same height as the High School Musical dolls.  He is stockier than all of my other male teen dolls.

Benjamin and Dominique have made quite a few friends here already.


 Here is a scan of the back of their boxes, which shows all of the dolls in the American Teen line.  It looks like Anthoney and Tara have the same body and face molds as Benjamin and Dominique, so I probably won't purchase those.   But then again, I really like Anthoney and Tara's hair, so maybe I will.

I love the fact that these dolls provide some variety as far as the way that they are built.  I have been wanting some thicker teen dolls for a while.  I am really happy with both of these dolls!




16 comments:

  1. I like these! Okay last week you enabled me with two purchases. This madness has to stop... as soon as you share the buying source for these, please.
    :-)))))

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie! Dana enabled me to buy these, so I'm happy to pass the enabling on to you. :) I got these from Amazon.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me... I found them there earlier today; also a couple on eBay. < sigh >

      dbg

      Delete
    2. I'm glad that you were able to find them, Debbie!

      Delete
  3. Congrats! I saw D7ana's post and Male Doll World bought a couple of sets. Thanks for showing the teen comparison. If I ever decide to do much with my teens, I will consider adding a couple to the bunch. It would be a nice variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from Spain: congratulations on your two new dolls. I love the clothes they are wearing. You have a very original collection. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marta! I really like their clothes too, and the quality is good.

      Delete
  5. Yay! So happy to see these figures. Can't wait to find some for me. Thanks for this post; do you mind if I add it to my Pinterest folder for Playscale Fashion Dolls and Action Figures?

    I love Dominique's earrings and scarf and jeans and leather coat. I could see her walk off a Philly street.

    Thanks for sharing and lmk if it's okay to pin this post on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Dana! I really like all of Dominique's clothing and accessories. Yes, it's OK to pin this on Pinterest. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your line-up, too. I love your group shot photos.

    And stocky sounds nicer than plump. Have to remember "stocky."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's the Pinterest link, Roxanne! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear people um i am 10 and my name is mary these dolls are very affensive to BLACK culture have u seen the back grounds of the boxes thier in the HOOD also there is one white doll they made and it looked like she was in hollywood somewere these dolls arent very sanitery they are GETTO i wouldnt want it DID U GUYS EVAN SEE THE BLACK DOLL HER BACK GROUND IN THE BOX WAS BY THE trash cans she was freakin homless ARER U KIDING ME i found the whole doll collection in factory 2-u in california and the manager didnt aprove of the dolls so i sugust u stop saying these dolls are cool cus its petty afensive
    thank you -mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary, thank you for sharing your opinion. I don't think of these dolls as representatives of Black culture as a whole, and I don't find them offensive. In fact, I appreciate the diversity of these dolls. If you look at the photo of my other teen dolls, what do they all have in common? They are all thin/skinny. I wasn't skinny as a teen, and a lot of teens that I know are not skinny, so why not have a doll that represents that? And I like the fact that Benjamin has real cornrows. And if these dolls are homeless, then they are some of the nicest dressed and well-groomed homeless people that I've ever seen. I do think that these dolls are pretty cool, and if I could find Anthoney and Tara, I'd purchase them as well.

    ReplyDelete

  10. 7) This is the model which big business would have your children follow. They hold Americans and their children in utter contempt, and promote images like these in order to ensure the demise of America's youth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I look at these dolls, I get the sense that they are the work of someone on the outside who is looking in, and this is their interpretation of what they see. I don't see anything contemptuous about these dolls. But, as I've stated above, I do not look at these dolls as representative of an entire culture. Are there only certain dolls in this line that you feel this way about, or is it the entire line? Can you give me an example of how these dolls are representative of big business holding Americans and their children in utter contempt? Thanks for expressing your opinion here.

    ReplyDelete