Saturday, April 6, 2013

Large and Lovely Doll Comparisons

Not all dolls are skinny.  I like having 1:6 scale dolls of all shapes and sizes.  This post features some of my larger than average dolls.  They are from left to right:  American Teen Dominique, Gone with the Wind Mammy (with Jazz Diva Barbie wig), singing Tracy Turnblad, Happy Family Grandma, Girls Explore Bessie Coleman, and Big Beautiful Dolls Dasia.

They all have very limited articulation.  Dominique swivels at her upper arms and thighs, and bends slightly at the elbows, knees, and ankles.  Mammy's body is stuffed and has no articulation.  Tracy's arms move forward and back.  Grandma has joined elbows and clicky knees.  Bessie has a stuffed body, her arms and legs are made of soft vinyl and they bend slightly.  Dasia's arms and legs move back and forth.

They have feet of various sizes, and most can share shoes with other dolls.  Dominique can wear flat shoes or shoes with a slight heel, since she has clicky joints in her ankles.  Mammy has molded on shoes.  None of them can cross their arms, but Grandma and Bessie come the closest.

Dominique and Mammy can stand on their own, the others can not.  Bessie is the only one that can bend to the side, and she can also arch her back slightly.  None of them can kneel.

 Here they are showing off their hands.  Bessie is the only one that can grip objects in her hands.

Here they are attempting to do splits, any way that they can.

 Here they are doing a let lift.  Grandma and Bessie do this the best.

Tracy, Mammy, and Dasia do not have knees that bend, so they do not look good sitting on furniture. Dominique's knees bend only slightly.  Grandma and Bessie look good seated on furniture.

Honorable Mentions

My Booty Babe statue is not really a doll had has zero articulation, but I wanted to mention her here anyway. 
 
 

I also wanted to mention Sideshow Mandy's fat suit, which has allowed me to have plus sized dolls with articulation.  The suit is made for a male action figure, so the suit looks better on taller figures.  Here is Sideshow Jinx showing off part of Mandy's fat suit.
 

The suit has 2 pieces.  Here is Jinx showing off the full fat suit.

And here, Jinx shows off the full fat suit while wearing Mammy's dress.

Which plus size dolls are your favorites (whether they are featured here or not)?  Are you aware of any plus size dolls with articulation?  Would you like to see manufacturers make more larger than average dolls?

**4/26/2017 Edit**
This post continues to receive numerous reads, so I wanted to add an update that includes other Large and Lovely dolls - including Martini Beach Monica, Madam LaVinia Curvy Barbie, and Lammily Photographer. See my video below.


29 comments:

  1. Great post very interesting to see such beautiful diversity *.*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and informative post. You never know what a doll looks like until you see underneath. I have owned Mammy and Dasia for years, but never realized how they really look. I never really liked the bend in Dasia's arms; but now that I see them, I really like her stocky and shapely legs.

    I know this post was not meant to be comical, but I had to chuckle at what seemed to be a struggle for some to do the leg lift, but Tracy Turnblad's semi-spreadeagle seated position caused the first chuckle.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I know that some things are unintentionally funny. :) The funniest thing(s) to me are the long rectangular "breasts" attached to the Mandy fat suit. I laughed to myself as I was trying to stuff those things into Mammy's dress and have them look like a decent pair of breasts. But yes, some did struggle with the leg lift (Mammy is propping her leg up on the wall), as they struggled with the other poses. Hopefully one of these days someone will manufacture some articulated large-size dolls.

      Delete
    2. LOL @Mammy propping her leg against the wall... a girl gotta do what a girl gotta do. LOL!

      dbg

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found some of these pictures, particularly #3, pretty comical. And picture #7 looks like an aerobics class gone wrong. LOL! Thanks for sharing these with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @the aerobics class gone wrong comment!

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Thanks Vanessa! My husband found #3 funny also. He said "The one in the middle looks like she's wearing a diaper."

      Delete
  4. The only one of these dolls I had seen before was Happy Family Grandma and, as mine is still in her box, I didn't realise she had jointed elbows. It's great to see dolls with a variety of figures. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrickters! Out of the 6 dolls featured here, Grandma wins as far as articulation goes. I also think she looks great in a bikini. Go Grandma!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, I've never even seen these dolls before! It's so awesome that these are even out there!!!

    You have quite the impressive doll collection... and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! I'm glad that there is so much diversity out there when it comes to dolls. I'd love to see even more plus size dolls released.

      Delete
  6. I like the plus size figures but I was disappointed that Dasia was not articulated at the knees and arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wish that Dasia was articulated. I'm patiently waiting for a manufacturer to release a large sized doll with some articulation. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  7. I wish I had some of those dolls

    ReplyDelete
  8. An oldie but goodie is the Rosie O'Donnell barbie. Her body is sized perfectly to wear Ken clothes. http://www.amazon.com/Rosie-ODonnell-Friend-Barbie-Doll/dp/B00001R3WC
    I also have the Mimi Bobeck doll, which is sized similar to Tracy, but shorter. She is very hard, shiny plastic and moves about the same as Tracy does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss_Lola_77! I remember seeing Rosie in stores years ago. I picked her up, but put her down again. I thought that I would buy her on sale, but never did. If I happen upon Rosie or Mimi at a cheap enough price, I'll get them.

      Delete
  9. Where in the world did you find these cool dolls? I love all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you The Grandmommy! Most of them came from eBay or Amazon. Bessie Coleman came from www.girls-explore.com. Dasia came from Big Beautiful Dolls,Inc. but that company has closed.

      Delete
  10. You have a very nice collection of plus size divas! Thanks for a great informative post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gone with the Wind Mammy works that wig. Yo Mammy! (Ducks to avoid the cold cream jar thrown by said "Mammy." Aye, my tongue! Gets me in trouble every time ;-P )

    I like best your Dasia, Bessie, and Dominique best. Thanks for sharing yet another fun, comparison post ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, D7ana! Jazz Diva Barbie has repeatedly requested for her wig to be returned, but Mammy will not give it up. :)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful collection! I really like Booty Babe - nice figure and gorgeous hair!

    I have Grandma Barbie - her body type is my favourite out of the Barbies I own. Though I think she is "normal/average" rather than "large" - it would be good if her body became the deafault, aside from the fact she's more realistic, I like the level of articulation - not too much , not too litte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Unknown! I agree that Grandma is normal size. She looks great in that bikini! She's included in this "large" category because she is a little more full figured than most female dolls and action figures. It would be great if more dolls of her size (and larger) were manufactured. I'd buy them!

      Delete
  13. I have a Grandma Barbie and a Rosie O'Donnell (Friend of barbie) as my only two plus sized dolls. I have recently ordered a Mammy Doll, and I am seeing about getting a Dasia. There needs to be more plus sized dolls out there... Rosie can wear a few other dolls clothing, but Ken doll's clothing fits her best. When I got her she came with a pants suit with a vest, and white sneakers. She can wear most barbie shoes, and I have found some smaller Monster High shoes fit her as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Anne! I almost purchased Rosie. If I see her for a very reasonable price, I will get her. I plan on getting the AA Lammily when she is released. I agree that there needs to be more plus sized dolls.

      Delete