Saturday, March 25, 2017

Madam LaVinia

I finally have my curvy articulated doll. Madam LaVinia Barbie is the first collector doll to use the curvy body.
"Embodying the unbridled style of the Harlem Renaissance, the second member in the Harlem Theatre™ Collection presides over one of the hottest nightclubs of the 1920s. This music maven features a new posable curvy body and many lavish details!"
 I have actually had her since late last year, and kept her in the box. I've been wanting to take her out of the box, but a bigger part of me did not want to take her out of the box because she is so beautifully displayed there and is such a collectible.

I couldn't bring myself to take her out of the box. So what's a collector to do? I looked for one nude on eBay, but was never able to locate one for a price that I was willing to pay. So, I purchased a second doll to debox.

Here she is out of the box. She has beautiful clothing and accessories. She looks regal. She is able to stand in her shoes without her stand. It was difficult to balance her walking stick.

Here she is up close. Her earrings and turban are removable.

She has exquisite details on her jewelry and the accents on her clothing. Her fur is wonderful, and the chiffon sash around her hips is really soft. 

Here she is with her clothing removed. She had a thread connecting her turban to her head that was easily removed. Her earrings and ring were easily removed (her ring is like the old school Barbies where the ring pokes through a hole in the hand). She had double sided tape on her chest to hold her dress in place, and she has it on her legs to hold her stockings in place. I have decided to leave her stockings on for now. Her hair was stiff, but I brushed it out and she has a cute short curly cut. 

In addition to traditional articulation, LaVinia has articulation at the elbows, wrists, and knees. Her elbows rotate, but her knees do not. Her legs rotate slightly at the hips.

She cannot wear standard Barbie clothes. In these photos, she is wearing action figure undies, and her own stockings and shoes.

Here she is in a seated position. I could not get her to cross her legs on this low couch.

She can share shoes with other curvy Barbies. In the photo below, Emoji Fun Barbie wears one of Madam LaVinia's shoes and one of her own shoes, and she is able to balance. I could not get Emoji Fun's shoe on Madam LaVinia's foot over her stocking.

Madam LaVinia has a slightly different body than the other curvy Barbies. Below, she is joined by Dolled Up Denim and Emoji Fun. They can both wear Barbie bras. Madam LaVinia has a fuller bust and a smaller waist. She does not have molded panties, while the other two do.

All of my curvy ladies can share clothes. They can all also wear action figure clothing. I have packed Madam LaVinia's original clothing and accessories away for now. I'm sure she'll have an opportunity to wear her outfit at a lavish gala to be held sometime in the distant future.

Overall, I love this doll! I feel like I've waited a long time for her. She feels pretty sturdy, and I can pose her easily. Hopefully the curvy ladies will be getting more clothing and shoe options (I'm particularly interested in the shoes, because I can find plenty of clothing for them in the action figure world). These curvy ladies look normal sized to me, so I'd still love to see some truly plus sized 1/6 scale dolls with articulation.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, she's gorgeous! I wonder if there will be more articulated curvy bodies? I hope so. I have an articulation addiction now. I also love her short, curly hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin O! I certainly hope that there will be more articulated curvy bodies. I'd love to see some in the play line. I love her short curly hair also.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the detailed review of Madam Lavinia. I always enjoy seeing and knowing the finer details your reviews illustrate. If I find her for a good price, I will add Madam Lavinia to my collection. Claudette is already here.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Debbie. I have Claudette also, and she's still in her box. I'm not as tempted to play with her.

      Delete
  3. I love her short hair and the look of her body. You are right. She looks sturdy. Wouldn't mind seeing some less expensive curvy articulated bodies. I really enjoy the curvy body ladies that are already here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Vanessa. I've seen teaser photos that show another curvy articulated doll, so hopefully that one will be released soon. I need to see some of these in the play line (for far less money).

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this review it is really informative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Lavinia doll. I bought one which I already deboxed and re-dressed. And then I just bought one to display. I hope they continue to make more articulated curvy dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment,Jaye! I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in owning two of these. :) I really hope that they come out with more articulated curvy dolls soon.

      Delete
  6. Great review. I had never seen her compared to the other curvy divas. I love the curvy girls! They are my favorites to collect right now. I have not purchased her because I have all of the curvy girls and it would be difficult to only articulate one. I will love her from others photos. Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Georgia Girl! LaVinia is getting more attention right now than the others. She's so much more fun to pose! :)

      Delete