Sunday, May 6, 2018

Celebrity Crush

A recent discussion in the WLBDA Facebook group prompted me to ask this question: who is your celebrity crush and do you have him/her in doll form?

My celebrity crush is Denzel Washington. I have a doll created in his likeness, but my doll doesn't look as much like Denzel as I would like. I wish that I have a 1/6 scale trumpet for my Denzel to play in these photos, but I don't, so this horn will have to do.

I once had a crush on Wesley Snipes back in the early 90's, but not for long. I have a Wesley Snipes doll as his character Blade. My crush on Wesley was gone by the time the movie Blade was released. I thought that both Denzel and Wesley were hot in the movie Mo' Better Blues.

My crush on Denzel began in 1984 when I saw the movie A Soldier's Story. I thought that Denzel's character Private First Class Peterson was super cute, and I admired Denzel's acting abilities. My crush on Denzel has persisted to this day. 

I remember seeing Wesley Snipes' first movie Wildcats and I thought he was very funny, but not particularly attractive. That opinion changed when I saw Mo' Better Blues. As I recall, he had one scene in particular that I found especially pleasing and it really captured my young imagination.

I admire both Denzel and Wesley for their acting abilities. I loved seeing them together in Mo' Better Blues, and I loved seeing them individually in movies that would follow.

My respect and admiration for Denzel Washington extends beyond his acting abilities and his good looks. For that reason, the crush that I formed on him when I was 14 years old is still going strong with me as a middle aged woman.

18 comments:

  1. Great post, Roxanne. The dolls really look like they are performing in these photos. Leontyne Grace had all eyes on her. I can't blame her for choosing Denzel. I love him too for his stellar acting ability -- he becomes the characters he portrays; his good lucks, that walk, the fact that he is a family man in real life, and he keeps God first. He's the epitome of perfection.

    I remember seeing him first in St. Elsewhere (didn't really catch the Denzel bug at the time). I saw him in the Mighty Quinn but I don't think the crush began then either, but by the time I saw him in Mississippi Masala as Demetrius Williams, I was hooked.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I can't blame Leontyne Grace for choosing Denzel either. I hadn't really realized until I made this post that I've had a crush on him since the age of 14. He is by far the longest celebrity crush that I've had. And yes, his walk, that swagger... yes! Every time a new Denzel movie comes out, my husband has to endure my mock shrieking "Denzel! Denzel!" LOL

      As for Wesley, I guess some crushes come into your life only for a season. LOL

      Delete
  2. Denzel is definitely a hottie -- still!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have such a crush myself, but Denzel W. and Wesley S. definitely are beautiful men! I haven't seen Wesley lately, but Denzel looks as good as he did when he was younger! And he has style, like ex-president Obama :-).
    The band looks very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MillicentAndFriends! They were both beautiful to me in Mo' Better Blues. Wesley didn't look too good to me right after his release from prison. But I saw a recent interview with him and he's looking better and seems to be in a really positive state of mind and he's excited about upcoming projects. I'm wishing him the best.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your cool dolls and their musical side.

    I've had lots of crushes but not many star crushes. (Shrug) I respect both actors - Denzel Washington and Wesley Snipes. Alas, I do not have either of them in play scale.

    Odd but most of my celebrity dolls, I don't know about them as people. They become new in my doll world.

    Snap! Just remembered - I have a Barack Obama action figure. I don't have a crush on him, but I do adore him as a cool person - his speech, his walk, how he holds himself like a gentleman. I say no crush because I have no romantic fantasies about him. Crushes have a little bit of that "what if" element ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D7ana! I don't have any romantic fantasies about Denzel (perhaps it was different 28 years ago when Mo' Better Blues was released, but more than likely it was a feeling of "I'd like to be with a guy like that") but I have a great deal of respect and admiration for him, and I think he's handsome. I also don't know anything about some of the real people behind some of my celebrity dolls, I just know they make a cool doll and/or came with cool stuff that I wanted.

      Delete
  5. Is that you with them? LOL! I am a Denzel fan to the bone! Wesley is wonderful too, but not in my age bracket. I have a few others...Larry Fishbourne to name one. I would like an Obama doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leontyne Grace is standing in for me. ;) Do you have a Denzel doll? I also have a Larry Fishburne doll as Morpheus. And I have an Obama doll.

      Delete
  6. You have the best collection of dolls! I had never seen the Denzel doll nor knew that one exist. He is super handsome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Georgia Girl! I am forever grateful to my doll collecting buddy who alerted me when this Denzel head went up for sale, and even provided me with a couple of bodies for him! Doll collectors are the best!

      Delete
  7. Leontyne Grace is a very beautiful doll and would love to have her in my collection. I have a few female celebrity dolls but no males. I have a crush on Greg Mathis and would like to see a doll in his likeness and I also admires ex-president Obama and his wife Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat in New Orleans! Greg Mathis would be a good figure to have - there are no judges in my collection currently. :) I have an Obama doll, but I would love to have a Michelle Obama doll also. I haven't seen any 1/6 scale Michelle Obama dolls that are a good likeness.

      Delete
  8. Will Smith is still no1 on my list. Funny as me and my friend was talking and said she don't find denzel sexy my knee jerk reply was Guurl Shut Yo Mouth don't let nobody hear you talking like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Will Smith is a good one! I have a Will Smith figure in my collection, also.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Lady Elaine Fairchilde!

      Delete