Friday, October 3, 2014

DID Martin Luther King Jr


This is my review of the DID Martin Luther King, Jr. 1/6 scale figure.  Click on the photos to make them larger.

The boxes that the figure and podium come in are beautiful and I will be keeping them.  The photos below are of the front and the back of the box that the figure came in.

And here is the box that the podium came in.

The photos below are of the sides and tops of both boxes.

The photos below are of the interior of the figure box folded out and an insert.  The box art is extremely well done.

Here is the figure inside the box.  He comes with a Nobel Peace Prize, a pin, a Bible, a black hat, 3 spare hands (different poses), and a black overcoat.

Here he is out of the box.  His suit is very well made.  His jacket is lined and the pockets and buttons are real.  The pockets are also real on his pants.  He has a cloth handkerchief in his front left pocket of his jacket.  He has a leather belt and leather lace-up shoes with real laces.  He has a white shirt with cuff links.  He has a tie with a tie clip.  He has on black socks.  His pants and shirt have velcro closures.  The details on this figure are amazing.

Here is a close-up.  The likeness is not exact, but you know who he is supposed to be when you look at him.

His Bible is very nice and has printed pages.

His Nobel Peace Prize and the case that holds it are very nice.

His pin says "March on Washington for Jobs & Freedom".  You can actually pin it to his clothes.

His overcoat is lined and has real buttons.  His hat is also very nice.

Here's a height comparison with other figures.  They are from left to right:  Fashion Royalty Darius Reid, Hot Toys True Type, DID MLK, Enterbay President Palmer, and GI Joe Colin Powell.  He's about medium height for an action figure.  He "appears" to be stockier than most other action figures.

The podium is detailed and made of wood, and comes with seven microphones.  It plays the "I Have a Dream" speech.  I put one of the figure's spare hands on in the photo below.  The hands can be fairly easily switched.

There is some staining on his white shirt from the lining of his black jacket.

His long johns have a little extra padding.

I tried to remove his padded underwear to show his articulation, but the top would not go over his head and I'm not going to remove his head just so that I can get his top off.  In the photo below, he is borrowing Ken's boxer shorts.  He is a very well articulated figure.  His black socks have stained his feet.

There are places that sell a Special Version of this figure.  The Special Version has an open-mouthed head sculpt and wears a robe (and is much more expensive).

My overall impression is that this is a very well-made figure with great attention to detail.  Some of his accessories (his Bible and podium) will be useful to share with other dolls and action figures in my collection.  I'm a little disappointed that he doesn't resemble MLK more, but that may be favorable for me in the future if I want to use him as a different character.  But I am hesitant to play with him because of the cost of this figure.  I'm not a collector who typically buys figures and then stores them on a shelf.  This figure may be a shelf-sitting exception.

No he won't.  I like him too much.  I just have to play with him.  You'll be seeing him again.

26 comments:

  1. Thanks for this detailed review. I love the attention to detail, but he doesn't look like MLK to me. It is something about the eyes that's way off. I am sure you will enjoy him and I will enjoy seeing what roles he plays in your doll world.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Debbie! I will enjoy him and all of his stuff for sure. Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  2. The accessories are awesome, I want that Bible & the podium! :-). If the eyes were a tiny bit further apart and a bit (not much though) wider, he would look exactly like Martin Luther King in my opinion - the rest of his face is a very good likeness for me. An awesome figure for your collection, I look forward to see more of him :-). x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Night Owl! I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it is that makes the likeness a bit off, but I think that you're right about the eyes.

      Delete
  3. This is a great set! The accessories make it well worth collecting. I love the podium, microphones, Bible and quality of his clothes. He does not seem as stocky once you lifted the padding. Since I play with my collection of dolls the fact he doesnt exactly resemble MLK is an added bonus . I just could not have the good Reverend behaving common. Thanks for the post you actually changed my mind about this piece. You have a fantastic collection of male AA figures by the way. I have been searching for the AA Hot Toys True Type for quite some time now and that Enterbay Palmer sells for a handsome penny now a days on the secondary market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AG Lanc! I'm really pleased with the quality of everything that came with this set (except for the flimsy piece of wood that 4 of the mics were attached to - I broke one of the mics off right away). Yep he will be playing another character in my stories, but he'll behave himself (for the most part). :) Thanks for your compliment on my male figures. I was shocked recently to see how much Darius Reid is selling for these days. And the asking prices for Tyson Billy dolls is also way up there. I'm glad that I got these guys when I did.

      Delete
  4. Awesome review! I think they did a very good job. Boy you went quickly from leaving him in his box to gonna play with him! LOL. That would be me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phyllis! Yes, I go back and forth internally about some figures an whether or not to play with them. Ultimately though, I buy these figures to enjoy them, and that involves taking them out of the box, redressng, having them interact with other figures, etc. So that's what I'm gonna do. :)

      Delete
  5. He's a very fine figure! And excellent accessories.

    The resemblance may not be perfect, but he has a compelling expression in his own right (not always a given in doll size). He looks like he has a story to tell, and it's going to be deep.

    If he weren't to be played with, he wouldn't be articulated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Smaller Places! That's a good point about him being articulated, so he should be played with. :)

      Delete
  6. Great review - the detailing on the clothing and accessories looks brilliant. It's funny that the face is so detailed and yet still not the best of likenesses, but close enough is still good.

    Especially interesting to see how he compares to those other figures - thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you jSarie! He has the nicest suit of all of my male figures. I love all of the little details.

      Delete
  7. Hello from Spain: great pics. Awesome Luther King... Great outfit and accesories. Great purchase. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marta! I'm sure that other figures in my collection will have an opportunity to enjoy his coat, hat, and other accessories. :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on getting the DiD MLK figure! I love your full review of him, esp. the comparison photo. His "chubby-suit" is cute; Sideshow Toys made a shorter one for their James Bond Odd Job figure.

    That podium is a super accessory; I look forward to seeing it and your new character in future stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, D7ana! I thought his chubby suit was cute, also. I was excited about the possibility of using it with other figures, but I don't want to take off his head just to remove the suite, so he will get to keep that all to himself for a while. So now I have a Sideshow Mandy fatsuit for "female" characters, and this chubby suit for male characters. As far as his other accessories, I'm sure that I will find plenty of usefulness for them. :)

      Delete
  9. WOW! Congratulations! He is a nice looking doll. Not much resemblance but a great face. Wow! Super congrats on getting him! I look forward to seeing his role and who you pair him up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Georgia Girl! I hadn't even thought about pairing him up with anyone (yet). I guess we'll see who he has chemistry with as the days and weeks go by. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Roxanne, I'm amazed by the details of the accessories. Too bad action figures are not tall enough for my girls, they have the best guys....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billa! I know what you mean about the action figures not being tall enough. My Color Infusion Janay is taller than the vast majority of my male figures. Besides Darius Reid and Remi, the only 1/6 scale guys that I have that are taller than she is are Snoop Dog, Scottie Pippen, and Tyson (Billy doll). I guess I'll just have to get more tall guys. :)

      Delete
  11. Great figure and great accessories. The eyes and the mustache are a little off, but he's a decent resemblance. Thanks for the review and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent review! I gotta say I'm more impressed with the podium than I am with his likeness to MLK. I actually think he looks like Uncle Curtis from House of Payne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Muff! LOL - I can see the resemblance to Uncle Curtis a little. I do like the podium, but all of the little mics and cords were kind of a pain to deal with (I had my own House of Pain going on over here). But yes, I'm sure that the podium and the Bible will be enjoyed by several of my other figures.

      Delete
  13. niesamowita lalka - gratuluję!

    ReplyDelete