Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ryan Whittaker

After reading A Philly Collector's latest post about the Ryan Whittaker action figure, I decided to take some photos a do a post of my own.  A while back, I received a couple of Ryan Whittaker action figures from a collector friend.  I received a complete figure, and a body without the head.  The complete figure is pictured below.  He arrived without his original boots.  The boots that he is wearing below come from another figure (one of my dollar store guys, but don't tell Ryan).


He's not a bad looking guy.
 Ryan is outfitted in a suit that is very difficult to remove.  The fabric can not be removed without cutting or ripping, and the plastic armor is sewn on.  His pants are even screwed onto his legs.  He has gloved hands.

I had a Denzel head that needed a body, so I used the second Ryan Whittaker body for that.  The body came to me with the suit already removed.  I used a couple of Hot Toys hands to complete the figure.


Ken doll clothes fit Ryan very well, but Ken shoes are slightly too small.


Here's a photo showing how the Ken shoes do not fit properly.  I have a shortage of action figure shoes at the moment, and Ryan (Denzel) is able to balance on these shoes, so these will have to work for now.

The Denzel head has a longer neck, so the figure on the left is slightly taller than the figure on the right.  They are both able to tilt their heads forward and back.

I can also get Denzel's head to tilt from side to side by rotating the base of his neck.  I am unable to rotate Ryan's head on the base, so I can't really get his head to tilt from side to side.

Ok brace yourself.  This is why Denzel will never do a nude scene in any of my stories (unless he gets another body).  On the left is the Ryan Whittaker body in the nude.  The body uses 2 or 3 different shades of brown, and different types of plastic, so some parts are shinier than others.  

He has great articulation, though, and his range of motion is increased with the removal of his suit.

Here he is from the back, flexing a few muscles.

So let's talk about feet and ankles.  Here are the ones that my figures came with.  They look like they belong to this body.  The seams in the front align, and the width of the ankle and lower leg is more or less the same. The material and coloring looks the same for the lower legs and ankles.

Here is what the ankles look like when turned to the side (front seams not aligned).

The collector who sent these bodies to me does a great job of customizing figures.  I can't say with certainty that these are Ryan Whittaker's original factory manufactured feet and ankles, but they look like they belong to this figure to me.  Last year, I asked the person who sent these to me how he had removed the boots, and this is what he said:
"If I remember correctly I slipped a letter opener in the thigh and worked it around the perimeter. I let it sit in so hot tap water for about five mins and pull them right off. The pants are screwed on at the sides under the boots (you'll see what i mean when you remove the boots. If you are still having trouble then slice a thin line into the boot on the back center where the indentation is."
 The photo below is of Ryan's pants screwed onto his leg, and what his leg looks like after the screw and pants have been removed.

If these are not Ryan Whittaker's original feet and ankles, I would love to know what figure these came from.  Do these look familiar to anyone?

Edit:  These are indeed Ryan Whittaker's original feet and ankles.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for showcasing the handsome Ryan Whittaker. Action figures can wear some of the shoes Hasbro made for One Direction dolls. This has given my guys a lot more options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks limbe dolls! Are there fashion packs for the One Direction dolls? I've seen the dolls in stores, but not any separate fashions for them.

      Delete
  2. Ryan is handsome, I'd want to repaint his eyes, though. Would love to find a Denzel head like yours.

    Thanks for showing the detail of Ryan's body. It was very nice of the person who sent you these to do so.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! Yes, a good eye repaint would do Ryan a world of good. I agree about the nice person who sent these bodies to me. Doll and action figure collectors are some of the nicest people that I know. :)

      Delete
    2. Debbie, I did a google image search for this Denzel head. This is from a Hot Toys Firefighter Version 1 AA figure. I found 1 for sale. Here is the site: http://www.machinegun-figures.com/black-fire-fighter-with-brown-gloves-nude-body-p-6757. I've never dealt with that company and I don't know if that is the original body. I got my head loose on eBay.

      Delete
  3. I love the way they are looking at one another with Denzel's head tilt. I had no idea there was a Denzel doll out there. Now, I am on a mission to find my beloved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks the grandmommy! The head is from a Hot Toys Firefighter Version 1 AA figure. The site that I posted above is the only place that I was able to find still selling it at the moment, and they only have 1 left in stock.

      Delete
  4. Hello from Spain: I like this guy action. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the mention! Thanks also for sharing the information about how to remove the boot. I am going to try that and see if my Ryan has feet. (Wishing and hoping he does!)

    Love the comparison of Ryan and the Ryan-body-Denzel-head.

    Oh and your Denzel is a cutie ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, D7ana! I really hope that your Ryan's foot is just stuck inside the boot. He is so close to finally being how you want him.

      Delete
    2. Yay, Roxanne ... blog post starts with that quote about you at PhillyCollector ;-)

      Delete
    3. I am just so happy about this! :D Congrats to you and your Ryan!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing these. Both figures are quite handsome. I can't say that I've ever seen feet such as those.

    ReplyDelete